Sunday, December 16, 2012

Guy's American Kitchen & Bar in Times Square

Well, I did it!  On my visit to NYC last week I had one goal - eat at Guy Fieri's new restaurant in Times Square.  He's the dude from Diners, Drive Ins & Dives on the Food Network.  Anyway, I'm sure by now you have all read (or heard about) the terrible review of his restaurant (Guy's American Kitchen & Bar) written by Pete Wells in the New York Times.  If not, check it out here

I mean - the review was SOOO horrible that I just had to see if it could possibly be as bad as Mr. Wells made it out to be.  So, off I went to the most miserable part of Manhattan (especially during Christmastime). 

So majestic.  

"Did panic grip your soul as you stared into the whirling hypno wheel of the menu, where adjectives and nouns spin in a crazy vortex? When you saw the burger described as “Guy’s Pat LaFrieda custom blend, all-natural Creekstone Farm Black Angus beef patty, LTOP (lettuce, tomato, onion + pickle), SMC (super-melty-cheese) and a slathering of Donkey Sauce on garlic-buttered brioche,” did your mind touch the void for a minute?  "  -Pete Wells
I thought for sure Mr. Wells was exaggerating in his review... nope. 

"What accounts for the vast difference between the Donkey Sauce recipe you’ve published and the Donkey Sauce in your restaurant? Why has the hearty, rustic appeal of roasted-garlic mayonnaise been replaced by something that tastes like Miracle Whip with minced raw garlic?
And when we hear the words Donkey Sauce, which part of the donkey are we supposed to think about? "  -Pete Wells
My Big Bite Burger, complete with Donkey Sauce in all its glory.  
What did you order?
kt:  I started with the Awesome Pretzel Chicken Tenders, and then my main course was the Big Bite Burger & Rojo Ring... An All natural Black Angus Beef, LTOP (lettuce, tomato, onion & pickle), SMC (super-melty-cheese) and a slathering of Donkey sauce on garlic-buttered brioche.  However, to make it kt friendly, I ordered it without the onions. 

How would you describe your burger?
kt:  Mr. Wells, I know you probably would not agree, but I was pleasantly surprised by how tasty my burger was!  The Donkey sauce was a bit too garlicy for me, but the meat was flavorful, the cheese was delicious, and the slaw on top was crisp and fresh!  It was cooked exactly to my preferred temperature, and the bun was lightly toasted.  I am still trying to decipher what is grilled on the top of the bun.  Guy's face?  Not sure.  

How delicious was it?
kt:  8.5

Was there anything memorable about the food and/or place?
kt:  It was pretty glorious.  Reminded me of every other restaurant in TS.  We told the waiter how we had been dying to visit after reading the miserable review, and it turns out they have actually been doing quite well because of the review.  Goes to show you - all press is good press these days!  There was a gigantic refrigerator of all American beers, lots of Americana stuff decorating the walls, and the waiter did not get offended when we ordered things verbatim from the menu (i.e.  "May we please start with an order of the AWESOME pretzel chicken tenders?  Can you please make sure they are extra awesome?")

How much was your order?
kt:  Burger was $17.50, I think my total was $30ish

How was the service?
kt:  6.5 

No comments:

Post a Comment